Harry Styles won't be appearing in Little Mermaid after all.
Much to the disappointment to Stylers everywhere, the "Sign of the Times" crooner will not be playing Prince Eric in the upcoming Disney live-action film remake, despite several outlets reporting otherwise. Just as soon as it was said the 25-year-old had been confirmed for the role this week, those reports were just as quickly found untrue. According to E! News, an insider close to the project told the outlet on Tuesday (August 13), "While [Harry] is a fan of the project he has respectfully declined the offer."
Along with stars like Awkwafina and Jacob Tremblay, news of Styles alleged attachment to the upcoming film started swirling as early as mid-July. At the time, it was said the "Kiwi" artist was in talks to star opposite Chloe x Halle singer Halle Bailey, who was officially cast as Ariel in the upcoming film. Additionally, fans have also been rallying behind for a place on the cast have been Melissa McCarthy and Lizzo for Ursula.
To date, Bailey is the only star confirmed for a part in the new adaptation — which didn't come without its share of controversy, either.
The 19-year-old endured a wave of backlash for her part as Ariel, as some were furious with Disney's decision to cast a black actress in the role. After weeks of silence on the matter, Bailey eventually addressed the controversy last week at a Variety event. “I feel like I’m dreaming,” Bailey told the outlet. “And I’m just grateful. I don’t pay attention to the negativity; I just feel like this role is something bigger than me. And it’s going to be beautiful. I’m just so excited to be a part of it.”
Photo: Getty Images